Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Christina Aguilera the copier? You decide

 christina Aguilera impossible rip off aretha franklin Aint no way Alicia keys
Is "Impossible" a rip off of "Ain't no way"


The first time I  heard  Christina Aguilera's Impossible it reminded me immediately of an Aretha Franklin classic that  I couldn't put my finger on.



Thinking it would be listed as a sample  I checked the credits of the Christina track and, maybe unsurprisingly, the only person listed was serial soundaliker Alicia Keys.

Going crazy  not knowing the Aretha song I turned to  Google for help but only found articles about the infamous  "Makeover"/"Overload" copy. In the end I turned detective, put on Aretha's Greatest hits and found "Ain't no way".

The songs didn't sound as similar as they had in my head but they still were similar enough to make me wonder how Alicia Keys had the nerve to claim sole credit for a song that clearly borrows from another. I suppose the question is when does being inspired by another song- and I'm 99.9% sure Alicia would know Aretha's Ain't no way- tip over into plagiarism?

Do YOU agree that the Alicia ripped off Aretha? Listen to the sample below and judge for yourself.
Introductions:
Christina Aguilera, "Impossible"

Aretha Franklin "Ain't no way"

Verse:
Christina Aguilera, "Impossible"

Aretha Franklin "Ain't no way"




No comments:

Post a Comment